Sunday, April 21, 2013

2013 Spring Snow Goose Migration

Earlier this month Bill and I had the opportunity to go over to the northeast part of the state to "chase" the spring goose migration.  Locals call this the spring 'blizzard'.  They are correct.  There were so many geese, it was simply a jaw dropping experience.  The first group we found, I was taking pictures rather than either of us shooting.  That was a mistake.  After a little closer reading of the laws, in South Dakota one can road hunt water fowl.  Unfortunately, this was the only group that flew over us in shooting range.

Photo's were nothing short of difficult as there were SOOO MANY birds, it was difficult for the camera to focus - even in manual focus mode.  I ain't never seen anything like this before.  I hope to have the good fortune to see it again.  

I put some video clips together below; you can see a full screen of it if you click the link belowPlease excuse the camera "wobbles".  I didn't take my tri-pod with us, and the wind was blowing so hard, it was really difficult to hold the camera still.  Mostly what you hear is the wind, and unless you've been around so many geese, you just can't imagine the racket they can make. 



I did get sifted through the photo's I took; although non of them are really that awesome, they give you a glimpse of what it was like.  

Oh, sooo mannyy birds!

 
By clicking on the link you can see the rest of the photo's.  Again, difficult to take photo's that really showed the ridiculous amounts of birds, but you'll get the idea.



2 comments:

  1. It makes me happy to know there is still enough open space in our country that this is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And I feel very fortunate to live just a few hours from such a flyway.

      Delete