Thursday, February 2, 2017

Full Circle

What is the greatest compliment you have ever received?  Do you know?  Do you have to think about it?  I do.  I know that answer.  I received it this past Christmas time on Kalisha's wedding day.  (Kalisha being mentor kid #1.)

As a teenager, Kalisha had some struggles and wasn't getting along very well at home.  Hey, that's part of the process of growing up - asserting your independence,  butting heads with authority figures, making your own decisions......not always the best decisions.  

I was just here for the ride with Kalisha.  Another adult in her life with no connection or baggage to bring to our relationship.  A sounding board when it was needed.  A teacher and mentor.  Somebody to hang with offering up no judgment, just a different perspective when needed.  Insight to help navigate life when it takes unexpected twists and turns.  

Kalisha married a good Navy man.  Someone I believe will be her partner in life.  She looked so pretty and stunning.  I was proud to remember that awkward young teenager I first met, but look into the glowing eyes of a beautiful woman full of integrity, hope, loyalty, honesty, I could continue.  As her Dad walked her down the aisle to her about to be husband, I saw a tear in Connor's eye.  I had one also, but was holding it together until her Dad gave her a hug and kissed her on the cheek.  There was no more holding it together, I was a hot mess.

After the ceremony, Kalisha's Uncle Mike was visiting with Bill and I as we reminisced about the awesome teenage years. Then it came....the greatest compliment I've ever received.  Mike says it was me that made the greatest impact on her life.  I couldn't agree, it was a team effort to raise that young girl that has become a great young woman that is and will continue to be an asset not only to her relationships, but to her family and her community.  Uncle Mike said, no.  Uncle Mike says I was the one that made the difference and the turn around in her.  All I could do was give him a hug and say thank you.  That was a very humbling afternoon.

Fast forward to this past weekend.  Kalisha is in the process of getting ready to move to Hawaii to be with her husband.  (Don't blame her a bit.)  Us "sisters" needed a day for just the two of us to catch up, giggle, and get our hike on.  This time we hung out, it was her leading the way, not me.  We've come full circle with her at the helm this time - a fitting way for us to spend what is probably our last day together before she moves. After we were matched up by Big Brothers/Big Sisters, our first adventure together was a hike in the Hills.  Now, our last adventure (for now) was a hike in the Hills.  

Serious stuff looking for a spot to write in one of the books.

Taking a break. 
The view looking south from Poets Table.  A 'secret' spot I've heard of, but never been to.  Kalisha knew just exactly where it was.
Thanks kiddo. I enjoyed the day more than you know. I'm honored to have been apart of your journey thus far, and am excited to see where your journey takes you next.

1 comment: