Saturday, November 29, 2014

It's a Wonderful Life

Yes, I know Thanksgiving was a couple days ago, but Bill was called back to work and internet sucks in North Dakota.  

None-the-less, it's best to be thankful everyday for what we have.  And I am thankful for the life I/we have.  We have had opportunities and experiences that many just dream of.  Here's just a few.....

1.  Bill.  Not only do I have a wonderful husband, but also a best friend, soul-mate, and partner in crime.  Living the oilfield life hasn't been the easiest life for either one of us, but it makes one appreciate everything the other does for the home team.

2.  My home.  We left my beloved Wyoming mountains five years ago for the South Dakota Black Hills.  At no time has this ever been regretted.  We've worked hard together to achieve the home we dreamed up, have a nice little chunk of property we call our own, with some really great neighbors!  Our road is it's own little community where everyone pitches in to give each other a hand when needed.  This is exactly the type of community we were looking for.  Not only have we found this community on our road, but the entire Rapid Valley has felt like a community since the day we arrived - with belongings in tow. 

3.  Family - on both sides.  It's true I haven't been around the O'Banion clan a lot over the years, but my Dad's passing this last summer made me really take a look at myself and appreciate that Mom and Dad are the foundation of the person I am today.  I think I turned out pretty OK.  I owe my love of the outdoors to Dad, my ability to cook to Mom, my work ethic to the two of them, my hatred of playing the piano to Mom (she enjoys it, I on the other hand, do NOT!, and my love/hate relationship of being mechanically inclined to Dad (he wasn't to bad at it).  Yes, I can run a chainsaw, fix a garbage disposal, lawn mower, or limp a vehicle home.  It does NOT mean I enjoy these things!  I appreciate being welcomed into the Snow family.  Although we don't get to the see the kids/grand-kids much or Susie and Charlie, we sure treasure the times we are able to have together. 

4.  My ability to learn.  College was not an option for me so I attended the School of Hard Knocks - majoring in L-I-F-E- 101.  Everything I know how to do is because either someone took the time to mentor me or I jumped into something with both feet up to my elbows and figured it out.  I may not be perfect at any one thing, but by-golly, I can hold my own in a lot of different areas of expertise.

5.  Travel.  I have fantasized about traveling most of my life.  In recent years Bill and I have been able to act on some opportunities laid at our feet.  I am blessed to have witnessed a baby rhino nurse for the very first time in South Africa - in it's own habitat and not in a zoo, listened to elk bugle in Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota - a sound I will never tire of hearing, had elephants wonder into our camp in Mozambique - so close we could hear their stomachs rumble as the hippos serenaded from the river, body boarded off the coast of Oahu, Hawaii - what a rip that was!  To many more experiences to list out.

6.  My American Citizenship.  Bill has worked literally all over the world.  We have traveled to several parts of the world.  Every place has awesome things to offer.  But, no where, no where else in the world will one find the things we have on good ol' American soil.  We have first rate education, we do not need 'papers' to cross state lines, we choose how we spend our hard earned cash, we choose our careers, we as a society choose our government officials, we choose our own worship habits, we choose our own vises, we have clean living standards, we have a disease free society.  Nothing brings home how easy it is here like watching a teenager literally wash the clothes off his back while taking a bath in the river full of alligators and hippos. 

7.  The American Veteran.  All this talk about the world is a good time to appreciate our veterans who have served this great nation both in times of peace and war.  Veterans sign a blank check to our nations people, sacrificing time from their families and their lives.  Some have paid the ultimate price with their lives defending our freedoms.  God bless each and everyone of you and your families.  

8.  My health.  Can I get around as easily and fast as I could as a teenager?  Not a chance.  BUT, I  can hike anywhere I want, shoot a pistol with relative ease, walk on my own power, accomplish what needs done around our place, ride my motorcycle or even a horse when the opportunity presents itself, and enjoy most days pain free. 

9.  Friends.   Friends come into life to compliment us as human beings.  Some friends become so close that they are far more like family.  These are the ones I am really grateful for.  It's fabulous to be able to call a friend to come give you a hand when you stick a chain saw because the tree fell the wrong way and you're on the mountain by yourself.  Back yard BBQ's are filled with lots of laughter - and maybe even a campfire.  Holidays are never spent alone. 

10.  My life in general.  I have a warm house to be in out of the elements, hot food on a cold night, a glass of wine to reflect the day over, we've collected some toys by working hard, I've made awesome memories - not only around the dinner table, but around the world, I have mentors that encourage me and teach me when I decide to try something new, I have the ability to mentor kids about my beloved outdoors, I have a spouse who loves me unconditionally.  

I have a W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L life.

This has turned long.  Not what my intentions were.  

Thank you Bill for working so hard for us, sharing in my interests, backing my judgments, and being my biggest fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment